‘MANY OF THE [STATE LIBRARY’S] MOST UNIQUE COLLECTIONS ARE THE LIFETIME WORK OF A NUMBER OF INDIVIDUALS OR ORGANISATIONS’. So says the State Library of Victoria in its Collections and Content Strategy 2020; the stories and voices of all Victorians .
The unique collections include:
– the WG Alma Conjuring Collection (magic books, magazines, photographs, posters, research files on individual magicians, and other magic memorabilia, including small tricks and models);
– the Tim and Margaret Bourke Bridge Collection (one of the world’s largest collections of books and magazines about contract bridge, whist and auction bridge).
In the future, the Library wants to add to these collecting strengths, for example by collecting: Australian and international material about magic as a performing art.
The Library will also consider:
– formed collections or personal libraries formed around particular collecting themes or topics that complement the Library’s strengths;
– Victorian political ephemera;
– original artworks, preliminary sketches and dummy books for Australian children’s picture books.
Leave a Reply